- This event has passed.
Start Smart Series – START SMART LAW: How to Handle Your (and Others’) Intellectual Property
March 3 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
The Start Smart Legal Series hosts various seminars and workshops throughout the semester that cover a wide range of legal topics for startup businesses. During each event, you will be able to learn from K&L Gates’ startup lawyers and gain valuable insight on how to legally start/run your startup.
START SMART LAW: How to Handle Your (and Others’) Intellectual Property
Thursday, March 3, 2022 – 5:00 p.m. EST, Zoom
Intellectual Property is an asset to be protected. This session will cover how to deal with IP issues including:
– Do you really need a patent?
– Difference between a provisional patent and a formal patent filing
– Developing a patent strategy
– Different ways to protect your company’s IP (patents, trademarks, etc)
– How to handle IP created by class projects when one or more of the student team members want to pursue commercialization
– Tips on searching the US Patent Office Database (for prior ‘art’ e.g. existing patents)
– What to expect after filing a patent (Time and expenses)
David Lehman, K&L Gates
Lauren Murray, K&L Gates
George Dickos, K&L Gates
Reed McManigle, CMU
All Start Smart sessions will be held from 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. EST via Zoom. Dates, times, and presenters are subject to change.